Information and Resources
The EGU is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in scientific research and to the free and universal accessibility of scientific publications in all areas of Earth, planetary and space sciences for the benefit of the scientists worldwide.
The EGU is a signatory of the 2003 Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities (Berlin Declaration) and all its open access publications are included in the directory of open access journals (DOAJ). In March 2016, the EGU endorsed Open Access 2020, an initiative to promote the large-scale transition from subscription to open access publishing.
The EGU is a dynamic, innovative and interdisciplinary learned society devoted open access publishing under the following publication strategy:
- maximum flexibility regarding the type and the medium of publication;
- maximum attention with respect to the scientific and technical quality of a publication;
- maximum visibility and impact for all published articles, and
- personalised Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution Licence
The EGU, together with its publisher Copernicus, aims to achieve these objectives by:
- producing various types of publications, including journals and a newsletter;
- using various media for publication, such as printing and media;
- applying rigorous but fair peer-review to all manuscripts assisted by an effective Editorial Office to keep review times short and costs low;
- applying professional copy-editing, where necessary;
- processing figures, movies and sound tracks;
- selecting the print-on-demand technology to reduce costs, to make back issues available at any time, and to print colour illustrations at no extra charge for authors;
- providing immediate and free web access to all articles, articles to be indexed by an ever increasing number of search services, and the most liberal copyright agreement for the free reproduction for non-commercial scientific purposes;
- providing immediate and full article alert service about any new publication to all alert-subscribers;
- taking full advantage of emerging text-searching and data-mining techniques to exploit the full set of online publications;
- guaranteeing permanent online accessibility through external e-archives and internal sophisticated backup facilities
Open access electronic publication implies that the authors are expected to pay for the actual services provided by the publisher from pre-submission to publication of their articles online, while the costs for the production, handling and distribution of printed issues are covered separately by subscriptions. Since in all cases the same (PDF) article files are used and digital printing applied, these subscription rates are, in general, very moderate and no extra charges for colour illustrations are levied.