The EGU, through Copernicus Publications, publishes 17 peer-reviewed open access journals covering various topics of the Earth, planetary and space sciences. Most of these publications are two-stage journals with public peer-review and interactive public discussions. The discussion and peer-review of submitted papers are handled in the open access discussion forums (e.g., Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions), while final papers, upon acceptance, appear in the corresponding peer-review journals (e.g. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics). For more information about this process, please consult our Information and Resources page.
While the EGU welcomes any original scientific work for publication, we expect the following:
- The work submitted for publication has not been published before, except in the form of abstracts, preprints, published lectures, theses, proceedings-type publications, or discussion papers that have not undergone full journal peer-review, and it is not under consideration for peer-reviewed publication elsewhere.
- The authors are aware that their submission will be automatically checked for plagiarism. In their own interest, they should avoid dubious cases (e.g. exact copies of site or method descriptions) by using quotation marks and citing the original work.
- Its publication has been approved by all author(s) and, tacitly or explicitly, by the responsible authorities and/or the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- If and when the manuscript is accepted for peer-reviewed publication, it may be re-used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License but not submitted for peer-reviewed publication elsewhere.
- The authors have secured the right to reproduce any material in his/her/their work that has already been published elsewhere.
- The authors agree to the Licence and Copyright Agreement.
- The authors agree to the article processing charges valid on the date of manuscript submission (receipt of electronic files).
- The authors agree to and have obeyed the General Obligations for Authors.
- From submission to publication, the authors of a manuscript are formally represented by the registered contact author(s). After publication, the authors of a manuscript are formally represented by the corresponding author(s) specified in the published paper.
- The authors are aware that discussion papers remain permanently archived, accessible and citeable.
- With regard to the evaluation of manuscripts, the editors and the referees will follow their guidelines as summarized in the General Obligations for Editors and the General Obligations for Referees.
- The journals' editorial boards reserve the right to remove referee reports and any other comments if they contain personal insults.
- The use of general descriptive names, trade names, trademarks, etc., in the articles of this journal, even if not specifically identified, does not imply that these names are not protected by the relevant laws and regulations.
- The members of the journals' editorial boards try to guide the review process as carefully as possible but cannot take legal responsibility for the outcome and aftermath of acceptance or rejection.
- While the advice and information in this journal is believed to be true and accurate at the date each article is published, neither the authors, the editors, nor the European Geosciences Union can accept any legal responsibility for any errors or omissions that may be made. The European Geosciences Union makes no guarantee, expressed or implied, with respect to the material contained herein.