Diversity and equality
The EGU recognises the value of diversity in particular in terms of geographical, gender, scientific disciplines and age balance. Since its creation, the Union has had a genuine and continuous interest in ensuring fair treatment within its community. Currently, there is increasing collaboration with sister organisations (i.e. AGU and GSA) on diversity and equality issues, which sets the need for the creation of a dedicated group at EGU to adequately respond and establish mutually relevant collaborations.
In Autumn 2018, the EGU Council established the creation of the EGU Working Group on Diversity and Equality, with the aim to promote and support diversity and equality of opportunities in the Earth, planetary and space sciences, with particular focus on EGU activities. The group operates with a tight connection with the EGU Outreach Committee and Council.
The tasks of the Working Group are:
- Promote the EGU vision to pursue diversity and equality of opportunities with an integrated, coordinated, constructive and exciting approach.
- Raise the awareness of the scientific community on the highly inspiring value of diversity.
- Organise sessions and meetings dedicated to equality and diversity during the EGU General Assembly, as well as at other conferences and meetings organised by EGU and its sister organisations.
- Represent EGU during relevant initiatives focusing on diversity and equality in science.
- Provide constructive suggestions and ideas to the EGU Council.
The working group is composed of a chair (with a three-year term renewable once) and members, including representatives from sister associations.
Claudia Alves de Jesus Rydin
European Research Council (ERC)
University of Bologna
Holly J. Stein
University of Oslo
Stay tuned, as this page will be updated closer to the EGU General Assembly listing sessions and short courses dedicated to diversity and equality. Anyone interested in getting involved with the Working Group is encouraged to attend and actively take part in the discussions.
If you require more information on the EGU Working Group on Diversity and Equality please contact: