EGU Committee on Education seeking two new members
09 January 2017
The Committee on Education, which coordinates the EGU activities related to secondary and tertiary education, is looking for new members to help further its programmes.
One of the committee’s main activities is the organisation of GIFT (Geosciences Information for Teachers) workshops, held annually during the EGU General Assembly. These established and successful workshops aim to spread first-hand scientific information to science teachers of primary and secondary schools. In addition to the GIFT workshops held during the General Assembly, the EGU organises education workshops elsewhere, usually in connection with international scientific conferences.
Many of the EGU education activities are conducted in collaboration with the Outreach Committee. The EGU media and communications manager also works closely with the Committee on Education, especially through the coordination of Planet Press, geoscience press releases for children.
Further to the activities described above, the committee aims to promote tertiary education. The new members will be tasked with helping in the development of such programmes as well.
Candidates should send a one-page motivation letter to the Chair of the Committee on Education, Carlo Laj (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to the EGU Executive Secretary, Philippe Courtial (email@example.com) by 31 January.
Successful candidates will preferably have:
- wide geoscientific interests, linked to the activities of the Union (as exemplified by its different divisions),
- broad experience of Earth science education
- provided teacher training and professional development for Earth science teachers
- publications in geoscience educational research
- a track record of developing innovative geoscience education strategies
- experience of working in committees
- international networking experience
For further information about the positions, which are voluntary, please contact Carlo Laj (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Chair of the EGU Committee on Education
[ Back ]