EGU training schools offer early career scientists specialist training opportunities they do not normally have access to in their home institutions. This is done by assembling a group of expert teachers around a narrowly defined theme, technique or approach, in a location that is especially well set up to meet the specific training needs. Training schools can be positioned near emerging research opportunities, rapidly evolving fields, interdisciplinary approaches or highly specialised skills. They foster bonds between early career scientists and give them a chance to meet and discuss with current leaders of their field.
The EGU financial support must be used to facilitate the participation of early career scientists with limited funding through travel grants and/or to support the quality of the school by organising field trips or by inviting exceptional lecturers.
Applications for sponsorship of training schools can be submitted via the meeting support request form.
Recently co-sponsored training schools
Call for 2019
In this call, the EGU received 29 proposals, 17 of which are being co-sponsored, corresponding to a total of 88000 EUR.
- 2nd IAG-EGU Intensive Course: Field Training School on Coastal Geomorphology of Climatically and Τectonically sensitive areas,
- OpenIFS workshop 2019: Atmospheric rivers and their impact on forecasts,
- Glacial Isostatic Adjustment Training School 2019,
- Data curation and management: current achievements and future challenges,
- Training School on Satellite observations and Modeling of Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols in the Asian Monsoon region,
- 5th Snow Science Winter School,
- 4th IAGA School,
- Summer School on Speleothem Science (S4),
- Geoscience Communication School,
- Summer School: “High-resolution chemical imaging of solutes in soils and sediments”,
- Ice Core Analysis Techniques ICAT2019,
- Coastal Changes and Evolution EGU training school (CoChE),
- 12th International School on Foraminifera,
- CNDS/EGU Summer School on Natural Hazards in the Anthropocene,
- Rencontres Exobio pour Doctorants/Astrobiology Introductory Course,
- Principles of catchment scale hydrological models,
- Global Ocean Oxygen Network Summer School (GO2NE SS 2019),
Call for 2018
New application scheme for events in 2018 and onward: EGU has decided to run one call per year and to focus its financial support exclusively on training schools. In this call, the EGU received 27 proposals, 13 of which are being co-sponsored, corresponding to a total of 69000 EUR.
- ICTP Summer School on Theory, Mechanisms and Hierarchical Modelling of Climate Dynamics: Multiple Equilibria in the Climate System,
- Empirical and Ab Initio Thermodynamic Models of Minerals and Melts,
- Glaciers, Moraines and Climate: Challenges of Identifying, Dating and Extracting Palaeoclimatic Data from Former Glacier Fluctuations,
- Geoheritage Management: Conservation, Promotion and Monitoring,
- Summer School on Natural Hazards in the Anthropocene,
- Geoscience Communication School,
- Deformation Processes in the Lower Crust (Bohemian Massif, Austria).,
- Foraminiferal Biomonitoring (FaB) School,
- Young Seismologists Training Course: "Array Seismology",
- Training School on Flow and Transport in Porous and Fractured Media – Subsurface Processes In The Critical Zone: Observation, Experimentation and Modelling,
- SOLAS Summer School,
- 4th Snow Science Winter School (SSWS),
- International School of Space Science - The polar upper atmosphere: From science to operational issues,