EGU, the European Geosciences Union, is Europe’s premier geosciences union, dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in the Earth, planetary, and space sciences for the benefit of humanity, worldwide. It was established in September 2002 as a merger of the European Geophysical Society (EGS) and the European Union of Geosciences (EUG), and has headquarters in Munich, Germany.
It is a non-profit international union of scientists with over 12,500 members from all over the world. Membership is open to individuals who are professionally engaged in or associated with geosciences and planetary and space sciences and related studies, including students and retired seniors.
The EGU has a current portfolio of 18 diverse scientific journals, which use an innovative open access format, and organises a number of topical meetings, and education and outreach activities. It also honours scientists with a number of awards and medals. The annual EGU General Assembly is the largest and most prominent European geosciences event, attracting over 14,000 scientists from all over the world in recent years. The meeting’s sessions cover a wide range of topics, including volcanology, planetary exploration, the Earth’s internal structure and atmosphere, climate, as well as energy and resources.
EGU at a glance
- Annual General Assembly
- More than 15,000 participants from 106 countries in 2018
- More than 17,000 presentations in 666 sessions in 2018
- Topical meetings
- Training schools & workshops
- Conference series
- 18 peer-reviewed open access journals
- Over 26,000 authors from over 100 countries in 2017
- Over 3,000 papers (more than 50,000 pages) published in 2017
- Free access to all articles
- Interactive public peer-review & discussion
- Signatory of the Berlin Declaration on Open Access 2003
Outreach & media
- EGU newsletter, monthly information service for members
- Imaggeo, the open access geosciences image repository
- GIFT – Geosciences Information For Teachers
- Media conferences
- Press releases
- Blog and social media networking